Saturday, August 14, 2010

Simple Saturday

There was nothing out of the ordinary about today. I think that is what made it so great. For once, I stayed in Augusta this weekend. And, I slept in this morning. I read a little, listened to some new slow music, took my time getting ready and actually blow dried my hair. I met a friend for lunch and saw a movie (Eat, Pray, Love) with other friends. I went to the store and made homemade guacamole while listening to music, and then headed out to a friend's engagement party. It was actually pretty full, I guess... but it was just so nice to let the day just happen. Nothing was really planned, except for the party, of course. I love days like this. I also do love going out of town, but I do it so much that I really look forward to weekends with nothing planned.

I also LOOOVE living back in my house. I think I've realized that I love big social time just as much as I love personal, quiet time. And, I can't believe it, but I really love cooking and having good music on in the background.

New things I'm discovering all the time. :) I think there is definitely something to be said about simplicity. My life seems so far from it, as far as my schedule goes, anyway. But, it really is the slow, quiet things that sometimes feel so good.

As far as stuff, actual material things, goes... I have been working on simplicity for a while now. Maybe it started when I moved to Charleston and then started changing residencies every 6 months... out of a need to downsize and make moving easier. And maybe it magnified after reading a little Francis Chan. But, I long to be more simple. To have the things in life I actually need, and less of the things that are just 'extra.' That was easier when I was not living in my house. Now that I have moved back in, it's a bigger challenge to not want to accumulate just stuff to 'fill the spaces' or decorate. But, I feel like it's going pretty well, so far.

I want to appreciate life, and I want to experience life outside of my own. I don't want to be wasteful and get wrapped up in things that don't matter. I want there to be a purpose behind everything, and I don't EVER want to just exist. (This is getting a little deeper than I intended, ha). I don't want to miss learning or miss out on something I should have seen or done because I was so busy filling in my 'quiet time' with stuff and activity.

So... simplicity is my ongoing goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment